Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

+27
Targon
Khalrez
Jephthah
EvilDream
Skibo
Rhodar
Jerole
lorddrow
Geoff
sideshow
Rippen
Peanut
Cyric
Cozmo
hsalive
Probie
Lorahand
Brandonius
tyfp gargoyle
Stigma
Heztac
Ogrith
Dantos
Boomslang
Bullarky
Dornie
Avernus
31 posters

Vista or Xp for AOC???

Poll

Vista or XP?

[ 57 ]
    Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap69%Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [69%] 
    [ 26 ]
    Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 I_vote_lcap31%Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [31%] 

Total Votes: 83
    Probie
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 144
    Exerience Points : 146200
    Registration date : 2008-04-23

Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Vista or Xp for AOC???

Post by Probie Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:48 am

They just added an option to choose which DX version you have int he Video settings menu yesterday (BETA).. As of now (Which it could change today) it isn't implemented, DX10 that is. Even under DX9 the game for the most part looks great at maxed settings.

Personally I tried AoC with both Vista Ultimate 64 bit and XP Media Center 2005 32 bit.

I think the Vista ran better for me. Not sure if it's because I have 8 G of RAM under Vista or what.

There where however some people saying that the BETA was running better in both Vista and XP for different people. It seemed Vista was better on the medium-high to high end PC's and XP on the low to Medium end PC's.

Just what I noticed in the global chat when I paid attention to it.

I'd tell you more of what people keep saying in the global chat, but I turned
    it off after I kept seeing the same shit you see in every BETA.

Hope this helps in your decesion.

(And shhhhhhh don't tell anyone I told you!) silent
    Jerole
    Jerole
    Forum Camper
    Forum Camper

Male
    Number of posts : 356

Exerience Points : 146056
    Registration date : 2008-04-29

Post by Jerole Thu May 01, 2008 8:34 am

At first I did not like vista at all. After some tweaking and the SP1 it has gotten alot better. I also use a 8800GTS for DX10 and games like Crysis are just mind blowing. So Vista for me.
    Rhodar
    Rhodar
    Forum Royalty
    Forum Royalty

Male
    Number of posts : 595

Exerience Points : 145932
    Registration date : 2008-05-05

Post by Rhodar Tue May 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Looks like my new notebook will come with Vista (though 32 bit version) already on it, but the rest of my machines (all 5 of them) will remain on XP until I'm forced to start upgrading them. The main reason for that is, well, hell, I got FIVE machines to mess with! So I will get to see how it works on both, as my wife and son will be on XP, and I'll get the Vista (with SP1, of course).
    Skibo
    Skibo
    Feeble Poster
    Feeble Poster

Number of posts : 19
    Exerience Points : 146375
    Registration date : 2008-04-16

Post by Skibo Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Running....

VISTA x64 + 8GB Ram
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS going w/ DX 10 for Game

32 bit operating systems, *( as far as I understand it )*, don't utilize anything past 4GB Ram .
    Though with Service Pack 1 *( for VISTA x32 )*, it will now show full RAM installed, but still does not utilize over 4GB.

32 bit OS count for XP x32 as well.

I have not had any trouble using VISTA in any shape, a little bit using x64 bit OS on some software, but run a dual boot for those times.
    EvilDream
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 309
    Exerience Points : 145834
    Registration date : 2008-05-07

Post by EvilDream Thu May 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I made the switch to vista 64 actually yesterday on my gaming machine. 1 of my laptops has had it on there for awhile but I was stubborn to switch. No real performance increase noticed but had to make the switch to accomadate the 4gb ram I know have on this machine.

So far so good, no problems except for 1 minor driver issue with my asus onboard nic card which i just disabled until they fix this issue. But not bad I'm actually enjoying the switch for the most part.

Crysis running it in DX10 now looks absolutly stunning. So I'm quite pleased.

Running
    Core 2 duo E6700
    Asus P5NSli deluxe
    4GB Ram
    eVGA 8800GTS 512MB KO
    2x wd 150gb Raptors (raid 0)
    Jephthah
    Jephthah
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 296
    Exerience Points : 145850

Post by Jephthah Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 pm

Vista for me as that is what I am running. I must be missing something, I don't seem to have all these problems with it that everyone else seems to have.
    I am glad I missed that part.
    Khalrez
    Colossal Poster
    Colossal Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 233
    Exerience Points : 145878

Post by Khalrez Thu May 08, 2008 6:22 pm

Meh, Vista was never that terrible. It just got a bad rep because everyone had such high expectations and it wasnt perfect at release. (Like just about every other OS)

Now that SP1 is out it's all but bug free. With just 3 minutes of tweaking you can have it running smooth as silk.

Ironicly, most of the folks who talk about how terrible Vista is have never tryed it.

Heck I used to bash Vista all the time till I got my new PC and tryed it out. I wouldnt go back to XP if you paid me now.

My only regret is that I didnt get 64 bit when I upgraded because now I wish I had and I'd have to wipe my system to get it, and I dont really want to do that.
    Rhodar
    Rhodar
    Forum Royalty
    Forum Royalty

Male

Post by Rhodar Thu May 08, 2008 6:29 pm

Noob OS question: Is there hardware requirements in order to run Vista (or XP for that matter) 64 bit? I've tried looking online for my inbound notebook, but all I find is that it comes with Vista Ultimate, but the 32 bit version. I wonder if that means that the notebook won't run at 64 bits?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!
    Targon
    Targon
    Wobbly Poster
    Wobbly Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 51
    Exerience Points : 146953
    Registration date : 2008-03-24

Post by Targon Thu May 08, 2008 7:42 pm

I have a dual boot machine with both Vista Ultimate 64 and XP Pro 64. XP Pro 64 is slightly faster but does not have an official version of DX10 so I am still using Vista as my primary OS.... I love the extra eye candy I get within AoC. Smile
    EvilDream
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male

Post by EvilDream Thu May 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Rhodar wrote:Noob OS question: Is there hardware requirements in order to run Vista (or XP for that matter) 64 bit? I've tried looking online for my inbound notebook, but all I find is that it comes with Vista Ultimate, but the 32 bit version. I wonder if that means that the notebook won't run at 64 bits?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

• Almost all new servers sold within the last two years from AMD or Intel will have x64 capability.
    • Most mid- to high-end desktop processors from AMD or Intel within the last year have x64 capability.
    • Some higher-end Semprons have x64; lower-end Semprons do not.
    • No AMD Durons have x64.
    • All AMD Opteron processors have x64.
    • All AMD X2, FX, and Athlon64 chips have x64.
    • All Intel Pentium D and Celeron D chips have x64.
    • All AMD Turion notebook processors have x64.
    • All Intel Core 2 processors (mobile, desktop, and server) have x64.
    • No Intel Core Duo notebook processors have x64
    • No Intel Pentium M notebook processors have x64.
    Most people make the switch do to vista 64 sees more then 4gb ram. Thats why i did anyway. Biggest problem plaguing 64bit os is driver support but its not as bad as people think. What i did was went through all my components and just checked the vendor websites to see if they had 64bit drivers for them. 90% of the big name companies do, and the rest are following suit.

Hopefully that helps a bit.
    Rhodar
    Rhodar
    Forum Royalty
    Forum Royalty

Male

Post by Rhodar Thu May 08, 2008 8:17 pm

Wow, thanks much Evil D. for that post, great stuff there.

My confusion is on the:

The notebook I will have as soon as it shows up at my door is here. It shows an Intel Core 2 Duo, which to noob me, is a combination of the 2 above bullets. I hope that my notebook is of the top bullet type...?

Cheers!
    EvilDream
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male

Post by EvilDream Thu May 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Rhodar wrote:Wow, thanks much Evil D. for that post, great stuff there.

My confusion is on the:

The notebook I will have as soon as it shows up at my door is here. It shows an Intel Core 2 Duo, which to noob me, is a combination of the 2 above bullets. I hope that my notebook is of the top bullet type...?

Cheers!

Your good if you have a core 2 duo. Theres a difference between the 2. The core 2 duo is about 20% faster the then core duo. Little confusing the way they named em.

Here's a rundown of the differences if your interested at all. Nothin big except ones x64 ones not. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49283370,00.htm
    Rhodar
    Rhodar
    Forum Royalty
    Forum Royalty

Male

Post by Rhodar Thu May 08, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks again Evil D. You're the Man! cheers

Makes me like my notebook that much more. So I'll go out and get Vista 64, wipe the notebook with a clean instal (and thereby getting rid of all the useless 3rd party apps) and, have a spare Vista Ultimate 32 bit that I might be able to use on one of my 4 desktops... Though, it might be imbeded in some sort of install and work only on the specific notebook type thing Crying or Very sad
    EvilDream
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male

Post by EvilDream Fri May 09, 2008 8:52 am

One thing I can't stress enough that a lot of people over look is making sure prior to installing vista 64 there are drivers for all your components ie: video card, sound card, etc.

Notebooks more so since you don't really have a lot of options to fix driver problems. And most Notebook manufacturers(dell, gateway, HP, etc) put out the graphics card drivers not nvidia or ati. So it gets scetchy sometimes but for the most part your good.

Just to try save ya any type of headache before you install it.
    Probie
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 144
    Exerience Points : 146200
    Registration date : 2008-04-23

Post by Probie Fri May 09, 2008 10:23 am

EvilDream wrote:One thing I can't stress enough that a lot of people over look is making sure prior to installing vista 64 there are drivers for all your components ie: video card, sound card, etc.

Notebooks more so since you don't really have a lot of options to fix driver problems. And most Notebook manufacturers(dell, gateway, HP, etc) put out the graphics card drivers not nvidia or ati. So it gets scetchy sometimes but for the most part your good.

So true. One good thing about the ATI cards on notebooks is there is a community dedicated to updating them. That's the only reason I ended up getting my notebook with ATI Mobility x1600 when I got it many moons ago. http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/

And honestly if you read through it all and follow their directions, it's not hard to do. I had zero experience the first time I did it.. And you can ask anyone I've played MMO's with since I got my PC.. I can blow up the internet!
    Rhodar
    Rhodar
    Forum Royalty
    Forum Royalty

Male

Post by Rhodar Fri May 09, 2008 8:09 pm

EvilDream wrote:One thing I can't stress enough that a lot of people over look is making sure prior to installing vista 64 there are drivers for all your components ie: video card, sound card, etc.

I hadn't thought of that... I have an HP now, and TERRIBLE updates for drivers etc... The new notebook is a Toshiba, and I have no idea how they will be. Perhaps I should wait to buy Vista 64 until I see that Toshiba is offering it with their notebooks? I would assume that would mean they have all the drivers somewhere that I will be able to find.
    stratien
    stratien
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Female
    Number of posts : 271
    Exerience Points : 145655
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Post by stratien Sun May 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Got a Gateway quadcore 2.3gHz..
    3gig memory
    unfiortunately Vista but will have service pack 2 XP on my
    IMac.
    Sunar
    Sunar
    Wobbly Poster
    Wobbly Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 46
    Exerience Points : 145600
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by Sunar Mon May 19, 2008 7:22 am

Not touching Vista until I have to. XP is mo bettah. Unfortunately soon i'll be screwed into using downgrade licensing at my companies so I can install XP instead of being forced into Vista. They'd better just keep putting out XP drivers for newer PC's. Vista still blows for file copy on networks. My friend installed on 200+ PC's...and went back to XP Pro a week later for his company. UGH!

From most games i've seen...DX10 vs DX9 isn't a huge leap anyhows. I know in Hellgate:London DX10 looked even worse because of the crappy motion blur. At least Vista is supposedly getting closer in FPS finally though. So while I have a DX10 card i'm sticking to XP for the forseeable future.

~Sun
    Xenatha
    Xenatha
    AoC Guild Master
    AoC Guild Master

Female
    Number of posts : 158
    Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 Flag_a14

Hammerfist games : Aoc, Warhammer
    Exerience Points : 145656
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Vista or Xp for AOC??? - Page 2 Empty Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Post by Xenatha Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Vista Ultimate 64 bit here
    Kenroth
    Kenroth
    Grunt

Male
    Number of posts : 8
    Exerience Points : 144250
    Registration date : 2008-07-10

Post by Kenroth Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm

I am running AoC on the 64 bit version of Windows Vista Business with service pack 1 right now, and I have had no problems with Vista at all. Some things with Vista bug me, but not enough to run back to Windows XP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:11 pm