Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

+6
Killer_Shark
Imotaqua
Bevhawk
Jephthah
hsalive
Rastas
10 posters

Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think

Rastas
    Rastas
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 155
    Exerience Points : 146575
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think Empty Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think

Post by Rastas Mon May 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Ok, I am torn, here are links to the 2 PC's I am thinking of buying:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16883229013
    or
    http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_7500_fc_gs.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-7500-GC&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Here is why I need advice. They both essentially look good to me as they seem to be almost the same machines. It looks like the Alienware has a better cooling system and power supply, but only comes with 32 bit VISTA, which means I will have to upgrade to 64 bit and also pay $100.00 for shipping. I also know Alienware makes a very good product as I have a 3 year old machine now.
    The newegg machine has a 500gb hard drive, 250gb more than the Alienware. It also comes with 64bit Vista, but it only has a 650w power supply. If I get the Alienware, I can also trade in my current PC, and get some cash back, at least $200.00, which would pay for Vista + shipping. So I guess it comes down to power supply + hard drive...any ideas?
    hsalive
    hsalive
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Male
    Number of posts : 1479
    Exerience Points : 146765
    Registration date : 2008-04-23

Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think Empty Re: Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think

Post by hsalive Mon May 12, 2008 12:23 pm

well i just wish we all lived in the same town cause then i could come over and help you build your own pc to you rspecificaions with little worry of failure

but since we dont live in a perfect world

if you are going to trade your old pc in then alienware, if you have a use for your other pc then idk what to tell you, i like the alienware one myself, but then i like shiney objects Smile
    Jephthah
    Jephthah
    Extreme Poster
    Extreme Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 296
    Exerience Points : 146400
    Registration date : 2008-05-07

Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think Empty Re: Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think

Post by Jephthah Mon May 12, 2008 12:28 pm

Personally I would go with the one rom Newegg. I am not much into alienware. And from the specs the 650W would be fine. If you feel that down the road you need more power, power supplies are not to over priced and are easy to install.
    I can tell you no matter what system you get, with that video card you will have cooling problems, it will not cause a prefromance problem, but the room you are in will be hot.
    Bevhawk
    Bevhawk
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 122
    Exerience Points : 146334
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by Bevhawk Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Personally for bang for your buck, i would go with the NGG comp.

The vista 64 quad core and dual video. That would be a system that i would build, cept for the quad core, i prefer AMD Very Happy

that and alienware is owned by Dell and i despise Dell
    Imotaqua
    Imotaqua
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 191

Exerience Points : 146350
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Post by Imotaqua Mon May 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Are you completely uncomfortable with building your own? It's not has hard as you might think, and you will end up spending less money and have exactly what you need and want when it's finished. I've been building computers for years, and I can't say enough about how much more satisfied I think you'd be. I'm sure many of us could offer you advice on what parts to get.
    Killer_Shark
    Killer_Shark
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 224
    Exerience Points : 146331
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by Killer_Shark Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 pm

I like the Newegg system. Nice that you will already have Vista 64 and it looks like it would be easier to upgrade in the future due to the bigger case.
    Probie
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 144
    Exerience Points : 146750

Post by Probie Mon May 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Take a look at www.ibuypower.com and www.cyberpowerpc.com. Newegg sells systems from both, and if you order direct from the sites you'll save more money. Both companies have good products and chances are you'll get a better system for the same price buying direct.

I've bought from both of them in the past and never had any issues.

Quick edit: You can build them to your specifications at each site also.
    http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=205
    Aymaestro
    Aymaestro
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 215

Exerience Points : 146571

Post by Aymaestro Mon May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

i had the worst experience with alienware, i would not recommend to anyone to give them 5cents for one of their systems. My current PC's came from PCclub. They work like most the other sites, you pick out the components and they will assemble. You get what you really want and they stand buy their stuff. My computer from RK computers is my laptop i am right now, and they were awesome and my system is awesome. I would highly reccomend a good smallshop over junkenware or dell or gateway or whomever. See what they have in their "UBERSYSTEMS" and have someone else do the same thing for less, with better CS.
    Dan
    Louchar
    Louchar
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 173
    Exerience Points : 146275
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Post by Louchar Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 pm

This is no contest IMO. Buy the Cyberpower rig from Newegg.

That PC doesn't need anything more than a good 650watt psu. Bigger HDD, vista 64 and one hell of a fantastic case. The rest is about the same.

I have built several computers with that case and its brother the Cosmos S. fantastic in every way.

Of course I wouldn't be me if I didn't say, "Build it yourself." but by all means get the newegg rig.

Oh and $200 for your old rig sounds low. How old is it and what are the specs? You might be able to sell it more on Craigs list.
    Rastas
    Rastas
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Rastas Mon May 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Ok so, I like the Newegg one the best, but thanks for the responses, I also checked PCClub, Cyberpower and Ibuypower. So I also made this one as well. It has a bigger power supply, Vista 64 and 3 year warranty(INCLUDED)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com./cart/showcart.asp?url=./system/Intel_Core_2_Duo_SLI_Custom_Build_Configurator/&ref=add

And I think this one is the winner. Hard to beat the 3 year warranty 1000w power supply and Vista 64 and it is actually cheaper than the one from Newegg by $60.00

MAN U GUYS ROCK AGAIN
    Imotaqua
    Imotaqua
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 191

Exerience Points : 146350
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Post by Imotaqua Mon May 12, 2008 4:47 pm

You should note that pertaining to power supplies it's not the Watts that are important, but the amps it pushes.
    Probie
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male

Post by Probie Mon May 12, 2008 6:40 pm

Rastas wrote:Ok so, I like the Newegg one the best, but thanks for the responses, I also checked PCClub, Cyberpower and Ibuypower. So I also made this one as well. It has a bigger power supply, Vista 64 and 3 year warranty(INCLUDED)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com./cart/showcart.asp?url=./system/Intel_Core_2_Duo_SLI_Custom_Build_Configurator/&ref=add

And I think this one is the winner. Hard to beat the 3 year warranty 1000w power supply and Vista 64 and it is actually cheaper than the one from Newegg by $60.00

to
    MAN U GUYS ROCK AGAIN

Well ouldn't see the rig but glad to help! I bought my laptop from cyberpowerpc.com and I have nothing but good things to say about them. My one year warranty is up, but the 24/7 phone tech support is a nice option. My wife actuallyused it not long ago when she thought she broke my laptop when I was out of town for work lol.
    hsalive
    hsalive
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Male
    Number of posts : 1479
    Exerience Points : 146765

Post by hsalive Mon May 12, 2008 6:50 pm

TankProbie wrote:
    Rastas wrote:Ok so, I like the Newegg one the best, but thanks for the responses, I also checked PCClub, Cyberpower and Ibuypower. So I also made this one as well. It has a bigger power supply, Vista 64 and 3 year warranty(INCLUDED)

to
    MAN U GUYS ROCK AGAIN

Well ouldn't see the rig but glad to help! I bought my laptop from cyberpowerpc.com and I have nothing but good things to say about them. My one year warranty is up, but the 24/7 phone tech support is a nice option. My wife actuallyused it not long ago when she thought she broke my laptop when I was out of town for work lol.

she let the squirrels play hide the nuts on your laptop again????
    Louchar
    Louchar
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Louchar Mon May 12, 2008 8:26 pm

1000watts is way overkill for that rig. Orchid is 100% correct. watts only matter to a point but amps make all the difference.

I'm glad you are happy though! When do you get the new PC??
    Rastas
    Rastas
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Rastas Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Ok will lower it to 850W that will save me a few dollars. My dinero should hit my bank account on Tuesday or Wednesday then I just need to order it to have it built, not sure on build times, I have heard 7-10 days or so...we will see. Looks like I am shooting for last week of May, so then I can ask you guys all noob ?'s when i log in cheers cheers cheers
    Louchar
    Louchar
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Louchar Tue May 13, 2008 12:12 am

Yes you may ask all the n00b questions you like. We will be here to answer them. alien
    Probie
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male

Post by Probie Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 am

evilash wrote:
    TankProbie wrote:

to
    MAN U GUYS ROCK AGAIN

Well couldn't see the rig but glad to help! I bought my laptop from cyberpowerpc.com and I have nothing but good things to say about them. My one year warranty is up, but the 24/7 phone tech support is a nice option. My wife actually used it not long ago when she thought she broke my laptop when I was out of town for work lol.

she let the squirrels play hide the nuts on your laptop again????

You know... She never did tell me what happened... Makes a person wonder though..
    Rastas
    Rastas
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Rastas Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 pm

So here is the finished product, I should have it around mid week:

• CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 1066FSB 8MB L2 Cache 64-bit [+46]
    CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System (Superior Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI & QX9650/9770 Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio

MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (4x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+100] (Corsair or Major Brand)

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition

POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts Power Supplies Xion SuperNova Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

• VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express
    VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express

cyberpowerpc ftw, could not beat the price for this system
  • Lorahand
    Lorahand
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Male
    Number of posts : 1093
    Rastas PC Questions...whatcha think Flag_a14

Hammerfist games : LOTRO and Darkfall
    Exerience Points : 146770
    Registration date : 2008-04-24

Post by Lorahand Fri May 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Very nice.... I have a cyberpower pc and love it. Although nothing in it is original anymore, so thats one thing nice about their PC's too, very upgradable. But I would order from them again without thinking....

Of course I am now a "build it myself guy"

My next upgrade is switching from this AMD 6400 x2 to an intel mobo and also the Q6600
    Rastas
    Rastas
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Rastas Fri May 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Lorahand wrote:Very nice.... I have a cyberpower pc and love it. Although nothing in it is original anymore, so thats one thing nice about their PC's too, very upgradable. But I would order from them again without thinking....

Of course I am now a "build it myself guy"

My next upgrade is switching from this AMD 6400 x2 to an intel mobo and also the Q6600

Yeah I really liked the ability to upgrade with ease when I looked at them. Also a couple of IT guys at work really like them

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:49 am