Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

2 posters

Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang

Swift
    Swift
    Puny Poster
    Puny Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 25
    Exerience Points : 146225
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Empty Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang

Post by Swift Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:52 pm

The combat mechanics in AoC seem unnecessarily complicated to me. And the UI is not well-matched to its requirements. But it is what it is lol, so . . . how best to deal with it.

1. Standard Keyboard (movement) and Mouse (combat) only
    It is easy enough to set up the UI to use your left hand mostly for movement (WASD) and your right hand (mouse clicks) for combat. This works extremely well for PvE where your target is basically stationary. But I felt this would be totally inadequate for PvP . . . I need to be able to watch the enemy so I can move based on his moves. And that means mouse clicks won't work for me long term.

2. Keyboard Only
    I move with my left hand, so I might have mapped the right hand side of the keyboard for all the other attacks. But I rejected this approach without trying it because the combat system seemed to lend itself to multiple small macro keys, and no keyboard I know of provides this for the right side.

3. Logitech G15 Keyboard
    I have two of these, one old (18 macro keys, times 3 - enough) and one new (6 macro keys - not enough). But I would have to use my left hand for combat, and learned to move with my right hand. There had to be a better approach.

4. Logitech Rumblepad - http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/gamepads/devices/264&cl=us,en
    This 2-hand gamepad with two thumb-operated joysticks and 10 or so buttons was actually workable for me, but limited. It was relatively easy to learn to use my left thumb for movement, and all 8 movement directions were possible. The right hand thumb-stick was OK for directional melee attacks, and the buttons for combos. But after I hit the 10 (macro) key limit, I had to put the device down, and reach for the keyboard or mouse. A shame.

5. Ergodex DX1 Input System - http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/77ba/
    This pricey solution ($140 or so) seemed perfect. 25 (or more) keys that can be glued to a clear plastic base in any arrangment you want, and programmed to do anything you want. So the keys can be grouped logically, identified with stick-on labels, and you can add a custom background under the clear plastic base to help identify the keys. However, besides the price, there were complaints about Vista support and it did not seem to have much current support. Not a very popular device I guess.

5. Ideazon Fang Gamepad - http://www.ideazon.com/us/products/fanggamepad.asp
    This relatively inexpensive USB keypad has 41 useful buttons (completely programmable) including a set of directional movement keys. This device turned out to be perfect for me . . . a left-handed mover, right-handed fighter. I can now fire all my attacks and combos while moving and without ever taking my eyes off the action on the screen. The software works flawlessly on my version of Windows XP - YMMV. Here's one approach to using the keys (Assassin, Corruption-based):

a) 6 directional keys: 5 Directional melee attacks and Active Block.

b) Buttons 1 thru 6: 6 Primary Combos
    Lethargy (slow), Swift Strikes and Cunning Strikes (current), Swift Strikes and Cunning Strikes (previous level), and Grim Corruption. One key press launches the entire combo sequence at maximum allowable speed.

c) Buttons 7 thru 11: 5 Group/Raid Combos
    Vicious Strikes, Slam, Sweep, Corrupting Strikes, Slow Strike are not normally useful, except in long fights.

d) 3 Buttons, lower right: Life Taps
    Vampyric nature, Life Leech, and Necrotic leech. Easy moves with my pinky apply up to three levels of healing.

e) Other Buttons: Other Stuff lol
    Basically, you can add as many other functions as you need . . . like Hide, Weapon Swap, Sprint, Ventrillo-push-to-talk, Use, Sprint, Autorun, Jump . . . and other "combos" that are more special-purpose . . . like Excellent Balance (anti-CC), Deathwhirl (AE), Deathgaze (Fear), Avatar (Frenzy-type) etc.

Last edited by Swift on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brakkish
    Brakkish
    Ascended 3000+

Male
    Number of posts : 3753
    Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Flag_g10
    Hammerfist games : Currently Ikariam, King's Age
    Exerience Points : 148829
    Registration date : 2008-02-12

Character sheet
    Forum Class: Spambot
    Health:
    Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Left_bar_bleue1000/1200Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1200)
    Mana:
    Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Left_bar_bleue600/1200Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Empty_bar_bleue  (600/1200)

Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang Empty Re: Another Keypad Suggestion - Fang

Post by Brakkish Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:59 pm

Good stuff, I'm sure our members will find this helpful Thumbs Up

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:27 am