Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

fix for "out of memory" crash

Octurio
    Octurio
    Grunt

Number of posts : 7
    Exerience Points : 145575
    Registration date : 2008-06-09

fix for "out of memory" crash Empty fix for "out of memory" crash

Post by Octurio Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:47 pm

this was posted in the official tech forums but i'm putting it here as well.

the fix comes from http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5551

Windows Vista no longer uses the BOOT.INI
    file, so there is a different method for setting the "3GB" switch which
    enables to use 3GB of RAM for applications in 32-bit Windows.
    If you want to make accessible 3GB RAM for your applications in Windows Vista, use the BCDedit.exe tool (Boot Configuration Data Editor).

The 3GB RAM mode can be enabled by the command:
    bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

and disabled by the command: bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa

Run this command from a command window with Administrator priviledge - i.e. (in the Start menu) type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, or select "Command Prompt" (Accessories), right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator".
    Restart your PC after this change.

according to many people the problem is a major memory leak in AoC that funcom hasn't found a fix for, what this does is basically make sure your comp is allocating ram to the programs that you want it to have.

you don't want to set it to your full memory, i have 4 gig so i set it to 3, if you have 2 set it to 1.5 (1536)

the problems i was having before were manly after a lot of zone changes the loading screen would freeze about halfway through and i would crash to the desktop.

many people have also stated they have more of a problem if they leave their antivirus running while the game is running, esp. if you use avg. i just so happen to be one of those avg users so have also started running with avg disabled.

these may not work for everyone, but they seem to be helping a lot of people and are helping me.

my specs:
    e6600 c2d oc'd 3.3ghz
    4gig (2x 2gig) ocz reaper 1066
    ati hd 3870
    2 250gig 7200rpm hdd (raid 0)

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:11 am