Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

+2
Dwimm
CaladanCid
6 posters

D&D 4E

CaladanCid
    CaladanCid
    Wobbly Poster
    Wobbly Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 41
    Exerience Points : 146050
    Registration date : 2008-04-28

D&D 4E Empty D&D 4E

Post by CaladanCid Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Who picked this up today? What are your impressions? I got mine and have already noticed and missed the fluff (or lack thereof).
    Dwimm
    Dwimm
    Light Poster
    Light Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 76
    Exerience Points : 145575
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

D&D 4E Empty Re: D&D 4E

Post by Dwimm Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:09 am

I think I've paid the salaries of most of the people at Wizards of the Coast for the past decade... I can't see investing even more money into a system that I think works pretty decently already... Plus, my gaming group disintegrated when we all got married... geek
    StockySnail
    StockySnail
    Little Poster
    Little Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 67
    Exerience Points : 145700
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

D&D 4E Empty thoughts

Post by StockySnail Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:27 am

I've had the .pdf's of the books for a few days now and am waiting on my books to arrive. I think the new system is great. I like all the changes. It seems much easier now, without sacrificing anything. Things seem more balanced. All classes have special things they can do whenever, per encounter, and per day, which is a nice change. Fighters won't seem so bland anymore and wizards won't seem like they are using everything or saving up spells then find out they don't have anymore fights and should have used them. Haven't actually played with it yet, but after reading it, that's what I think. July 5th I'll be playing with the boys (Rhuu, Ador, Dalure) at Rhuu's place, so we can all give you first impressions then.
    Cyric
    Cyric
    Moderate Poster
    Moderate Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 126
    Exerience Points : 146100
    Registration date : 2008-04-26

Post by Cyric Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:47 am

Right on, I was curious what this edition would be like, any insight would be appreciated.

I dont game anymore, though I would love to, and I havent played much of the 3rd edition either. Would still love to hear all of the good and the bad abouth 4th, hard to kick those old habbits i geuss.
    Rhuu
    Forum Camper
    Forum Camper

Male
    Number of posts : 340

Exerience Points : 145750
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by Rhuu Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:10 pm

I checked it out a bit, still need to delve into it more, but I have high hopes for it. It seems a lot more organized, simpler so that more fun can be had, and they have made it so that all classes have an important role.

Your not just playing the same character through the campaign, your class improves and even goes into more distict directions further focusing on aspects of your chosen class.

I cant wait till our gaming group starts to play.
    Tethis
    Tethis
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 220

Exerience Points : 146031

Post by Tethis Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Finally! A slave no longer to the limited number of spells the Healer/Mages have left after a huge fight in the morning! For that reason alone I would like to play this edition. I feel that all these edition changes are needing a better price point though. There should be a way to produce these texts less expensive than $30 a book. It's just getting to be ridiculous paying that much for twice-a-year gaming.

Tethis
    Bone Roller of Mitra
    CaladanCid
    CaladanCid
    Wobbly Poster
    Wobbly Poster

Male

Post by CaladanCid Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Ok so I have been looking over the game more, and I really like the new encounter system. I don't know how different that is from how an experienced DM would have run encounters (my old DM was great at making battles with a variety of monsters), but it certainly is much easier for someone to pick up the MM and put together a great fight.

I have not played, but hopefully I will get a game in soon to see how the new daily powers and things like that work. One thing I am still worried about is that characters will look much more similar within classes than they used to in 3E. I need to read the PHB more, but I hope that feats are still a vehicle to make characters within the same specialization somewhat different.
    Rhuu
    Forum Camper
    Forum Camper

Male
    Number of posts : 340

Exerience Points : 145750
    Registration date : 2008-05-10

Post by Rhuu Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:12 pm

CaladanCid wrote:I need to read the PHB more, but I hope that feats are still a vehicle to make characters within the same specialization somewhat different.

When you hit level 20 I belive, you can start taking a certain 'Path' within your class to take your characters uniqueness further. I do belive the feats will just enhance and improve your characters existing powers and abilities.
    CaladanCid
    CaladanCid
    Wobbly Poster
    Wobbly Poster

Male

Post by CaladanCid Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Yeah I like the paragon paths and epic destinies, in my opinion they are a good replacement for the prestige classes. One more thing that is a nice change, the lack of hundreds of pages of spells makes the game seem more melee friendly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:43 am