Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

+3
Brandonius
Trained
rhyzen
7 posters

Just watched a funnel cloud...

rhyzen
    Common Poster
    Common Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 101
    Exerience Points : 145600
    Registration date : 2008-05-15

Just watched a funnel cloud... Empty Just watched a funnel cloud...

Post by rhyzen Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Just watched a funnel cloud pass right over my house! My first thought was, grab the video camera! But I couldn't take my eyes off of the rotation long enough to run inside and get the camera. It was the most eerie thing I've seen in awhile. Just standing there praying that a tornado didn't drop out of it.

Not having a basement kind of sucks when crap like this happens. Kind of scary.

Also, on another note, living in the midwest prepares you for all kinds of stuff like this. Living in Maryland now, it's so obvious that no one knows what to do in a tornado. The local news station in Baltimore had someone outside standing in the storm reporting on it. "Look, it's raining outside!!!" Gee, good observation there... Also, there is no tornado sirens here. A warning was issued and the only way I knew is because I religiously check the NWS website and radars. (Yeah, I used to want to be a Meterologist before I met the monster otherwise known as engineering physics.)
    Trained
    Trained
    Forum Camper
    Forum Camper

Male
    Number of posts : 354

Hammerfist games : Retired AoC
    Exerience Points : 145653
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Just watched a funnel cloud... Empty Re: Just watched a funnel cloud...

Post by Trained Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Eegad, gadzooks and forsooth, even. I hate tornadoes. Lived in Omaha, Neb for 6 years and saw too many of those freaky things. I hate the moments right before they start to form, it gets all dark and everything just stops, no wind, no sounds, everything just gets eerily quiet. Hope you dont have any problems homey, maybe throw a rubberfist at it if it gets close, see what happens.
    rhyzen
    Common Poster
    Common Poster

Male

Post by rhyzen Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah, it seems like we missed the worst of it. Sounds like down East of DC in Virginia, they had a brief tornado touchdown. Initial report is that someone died when a tree fell on their moving vehicle. Talk about crappy luck...

No worries here though, we didn't even lose power! Thumbs Up
    Brandonius
    Brandonius
    Forum Noble
    Forum Noble

Male
    Number of posts : 542

Exerience Points : 146237
    Registration date : 2008-04-21

Post by Brandonius Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:46 pm

I live in Eastern IA and have witnessed about 5-6 funnels clouds in my life. One as I was driving down the interstate about 100-200 YDS directly east of me almost touched down a few years ago. I almost shat myself. Always very scary, but memorizing at the same time.

We also had an F5 tornado hit about 65 Mi North of where I live the day before Memorial Day, it was like 3/4 of a mile wide and was on the ground for about 43mi I believe. Completely destroyed a few communities up there. They just found the 8th death victim of the tornado today. Crazy stuff.

Some local media articles on the tornado:

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/19496234.html - Click on the watch video link to see a house get demolished.
    rhyzen
    Common Poster
    Common Poster

Male

Post by rhyzen Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:56 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm originally from Ames, IA. My friend and fellow guild member (Maneater) moved to North Liberty near IA City. My relatives still live back home in Iowa as well.

When I heard about the EF5 that hit Parkersburg, I made sure and called everyone I knew to make sure everything was okay.

PS, Go Cyclones!! Thumbs Up
    Jerole
    Jerole
    Forum Camper
    Forum Camper

Male
    Number of posts : 356

Exerience Points : 146031
    Registration date : 2008-04-29

Post by Jerole Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:54 am

Oh I know how scary it can be we had a EF-4 hit us earlier this month. I was at work when it hit. It destroyed the Gateway Rehibitation center less than a block from where I was at. The Tornado was 700yards wide when it crossed I-95. I was one of first to respond to it, everyone got out alive too. Here is a vid someone posted on youtube.

Dwimm
    Dwimm
    Light Poster
    Light Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 76
    Exerience Points : 145575
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by Dwimm Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 am

I was out in Oklahoma City back in the 90's when they had that record number of tornado's roll through... my luck, I was driving to New Mexico, and just happened to get caught in them... that was the most nerve-wracking night of my life! Glad ya'll are safe! Very Happy
    Cander
    Cander
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 198

Hammerfist games : AoC Ret. Lotro Ret.
    Exerience Points : 145812
    Registration date : 2008-05-07

Post by Cander Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:09 am

rhyzen wrote:...it's so obvious that no one knows what to do in a tornado.

I know exactly what you mean! Lived in Indiana most of my life, but spent three years in Jackson, TN. I recall one night working with a youth group and telling the leaders we need to be watchful, the color of the sky, all that jazz. They just laughed and said I was being paranoid. Then when it hit and power went out, we all went down to the restrooms, piled the kids in, while the rest of the adults stood in the hall...which was made of nothing but glass and steel girders. The tornado touched down less than a mile from the church. Paranoid my yankee foot!

Glad you came out ok though and no damage or injuries for you and yours. I've been through far too many tornadoes in my short life thus far! LOL
    Virgil
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 173
    Exerience Points : 145456
    Registration date : 2008-05-22

Post by Virgil Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:43 am

Thats crazy man. Growing up in Kentucky we deffinitly had our share of tornado touchdowns in the area. Those sirens are the worst soo creepy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 am