Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

Anyone ever visit [strike]Beijing?[/strike] Tokyo?

Evadrepus
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 218

Hammerfist games : LoTRO
    Exerience Points : 83183
    Registration date : 2008-09-14

Character sheet
    Forum Class: Wort
    Health:
    137/200  (137/200)
    Mana:
    69/200  (69/200)

Mood Happy Anyone ever visit [strike]Beijing?[/strike] Tokyo?

Post by Evadrepus on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:40 pm

As much as I hate travelling for work, because my travel basically means I drive around Wisconsin, I was told today I'm almost definately going to Beijing in April to train staff (like 95% chance, since there's really no way to do it remotely, but they are trying). I am veddy veddy happy as this will be the first time I've travelled far from the US (Carribean was close), so I'm looking for stuff I should see while over there. I'm going to work really hard to stretch my stay there by a day or two so I don't have to just tourist around at night...

Last edited by Evadrepus on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Lontano
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 194

Hammerfist games : Warhammer
    Exerience Points : 80985
    Registration date : 2008-12-05

Character sheet
    Forum Class: Lurker!
    Health:
    1231241234/100  (1231241234/100)
    Mana:
    32115122341/100  (32115122341/100)

Mood Happy Re: Anyone ever visit [strike]Beijing?[/strike] Tokyo?

Post by Lontano on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:46 am

Nice! I always dig work trips to interesting places. Unfortunately for me usually they book me in a hotel across the street from the office and plan my itinerary from the minute I arrive until I leave for the airport...

I personally haven't been to Beijing (yet), but many of my colleagues have. There's one common thread they all talk about: English is NOT spoken by most services you'll want to use. Make sure you find where you need to go and have someone write it down for you in Chinese so you can show it to taxi drivers, etc. or you may never end up at your destination. They also caution against counting on ATM's being prevalent. This supposedly has gotten better in the big cities but if you're out in the country anywhere, forget it.

This is cheating as I googled it, but looks like it might have some interesting info: Beijing Travel

Take lots of photos to post!
    Evadrepus
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male

Character sheet
    Health:
    137/200  (137/200)
    Mana:
    69/200  (69/200)

Post by Evadrepus on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm

I know the language there is Mandarin, but I did, obviously incorrectly, assume that English would be mostly spoken. Not because I am "zee stoopid american", but just because I was led to believe that by some conversations.

Getting stuff written down is a good idea, although I probably won't haev much time to see stuff. I really want to see *something* though, like the Wall or whatever.
    Evadrepus
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male

Character sheet
    Health:
    137/200  (137/200)
    Mana:
    69/200  (69/200)

Post by Evadrepus on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:00 pm

After some somewhat odd negotiation last night, I am apparently now going to Tokyo. I was told I had to go to Beijing and Tokyo, but the time didn't work for me (family obligations), so now I have to go to Tokyo instead. Any been there? Beijing seemed very tourist friendly, Tokyo, not so much.
    Breygon
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 378

Hammerfist games : LOTRO, Ikariam, King's Age
    Exerience Points : 84220
    Registration date : 2008-08-01

Character sheet
    Forum Class: Guiding Light
    Health:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)
    Mana:
    20000/20000  (20000/20000)

Post by Breygon on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:14 am

Unfortunately, I only passed through the Toyko area when I was stationed in Japan. I spent a little over a year on the island of Kyushu which is the large island south of the main island of Honshu. Actually, given the political clime in Beijing, your touristy travel would have been pretty limited. Toyko is like any other large commercial/industrial city, plenty to do and see.

Now, repeat after me: Gomenazi, watashi-wa wakata-ni zen zen Nihongo! Anato-wa wakata Eigo?

(Translation: I'm sorry, I do not understand Japanese. Do you understand English?) Say it with a smile and most times they will find somebody who speaks at least some English, even if badly.

Oh, if you are over 5' 8", DUCK! I was forever smacking my forehead on the top of the doorframes there. (I stand a little over 6').
    Evadrepus
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male

Character sheet
    Health:
    137/200  (137/200)
    Mana:
    69/200  (69/200)

Post by Evadrepus on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:15 pm

I am the runt of the family, a mere 5'10". The next shortest male in my family is 6'6". I will feel like a giant for the first time in my life!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm