Old Hammerfist Clan forums.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please visit www.hammerfistclan.com - you are currently viewing archived forums.

Due to the continual forum screw ups by our hosts over at forumotion.com we're moving to more secure forums. We own our new forums, hosted on our own server. Never again will rely on the incompetence of others when it comes to our community! Please visit this thread here: http://hammerfistclan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21829

+4
Lemartes
Hurok
Jenado
Ghalandria
8 posters

Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice -

Ghalandria
    Ghalandria
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 153

Exerience Points : 144978
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice - Empty Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice -

Post by Ghalandria Sun May 18, 2008 1:07 pm

I want to lose 40 lbs. I am 6'2 and gained a bunch of weight when I met my wife. Darn her cooking! I was living the bachelor life of Carl's Junior, Taco Bell, and all sorts of tasties. Then I meet her, and she starts to cook for me everyday. Oh meals I say! Food! I think it was her secret plot to win my heart through my stomach.

So I weigh 235 now. It took me 1 year to gain like 30lbs.

Give me a fitness plan of magnitude that will work!!! Or point me to a good place ,if you can oh GURU of Fitness!

*Edit- Added incentive is $600 of playing money if I lose 40 lbs, which I can lovingly spend on upgraded my comp! So who said AoC is bad. I will get up and strech my legs, I will I will!*
    Jenado
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Female
    Number of posts : 423
    Exerience Points : 145556
    Registration date : 2008-04-19

Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice - Empty Re: Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice -

Post by Jenado Sun May 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Ghalandria wrote:I want to lose 40 lbs. I am 6'2 and gained a bunch of weight when I met my wife. Darn her cooking! I was living the bachelor life of Carl's Junior, Taco Bell, and all sorts of tasties. Then I meet her, and she starts to cook for me everyday. Oh meals I say! Food! I think it was her secret plot to win my heart through my stomach.

So I weigh 235 now. It took me 1 year to gain like 30lbs.

Give me a fitness plan of magnitude that will work!!! Or point me to a good place ,if you can oh GURU of Fitness!

i feel ya. i got some extra pounds i'm trying to chip away at as well.

my advice is to find a type of exercise you enjoy. i love to swim, and i'm much more likely to stick with that than just going and using elliptical trainers at the gym. start with half an hour 3 days a week and build up from there - ideally to lose weight you're gonna want to do about an hour 6 days a week. it's important to take a day off every week, or your body gets angry at you. do NOT overdo it and push yourself as hard as you can. if you're going at the right pace, you should feel like you're working, but should be able to talk fairly easily.

also, just exercise alone won't do it unless you're very careful food-wise. if you're more active, you get hungrier, and if you don't pay attention to what you're eating you'll eat enough calories to cancel out the exercise.

you can use google to find some good tools to give you an idea of how many calories you need in a day, and how many calories exercise burns. if you burn 500 calories more than you use every day, you will lose one pound per week.

that's the basics. i've got a stupid amount of facts about this stuff in me noggin, because i get obsessive about researching things like that, so ask anything. Smile
    Hurok
    Casual Poster
    Casual Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 106
    Exerience Points : 145300
    Registration date : 2008-04-29

Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice - Empty Re: Do we have any fitness types here? Need advice -

Post by Hurok Sun May 18, 2008 1:19 pm

One simple fix I found was cutting out soda. You'd be surprised how much weight you add or keep on from all that sugar. If you can't cut that out look for alternatives Coke Zero or any diets.

Is there anything besides gaming you enjoy doing?

Can you find someone to hop on the same plan as you? Having someone at your side is great for motivation an to keep you in the game until you build it up as habbit. I've also found that if I workout with someone else I'm more likely to stay on plan as I don't want to let them down in a sense.

Most importantly keep it fresh and fun. If you jog, don't always go to the same area. Mix up your terrain. Sometimes keep it flat...mix in some hills...just get that heart rate going.
    Jenado
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Female

Post by Jenado Sun May 18, 2008 1:20 pm

man, this is good, now i'm motivated to go hop on my exercise bike till the servers come back up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Hurok
    Casual Poster
    Casual Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 106
    Exerience Points : 145300
    Registration date : 2008-04-29

Post by Hurok Sun May 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Jenado wrote:man, this is good, now i'm motivated to go hop on my exercise bike till the servers come back up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pffffftttt....that's how I power my computer!
    Lemartes
    Lemartes
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Male
    Number of posts : 438

Exerience Points : 145606
    Registration date : 2008-04-16

Post by Lemartes Sun May 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Get a Wii...and buy Wii Fit.....suppose to be pretty good. /shurg

watching what you eat and riding a bike is what i do.
    Ghalandria
    Ghalandria
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Ghalandria Sun May 18, 2008 1:57 pm

1 lb a week doing 1 hour a day, with one day off a week. HMMM 40 weeks to lose 40 lbs. I want to speed that up.

What if I seriously cut down my food intake and stick with 1 hour.

So example - Half a peanut and jelly sandwich. Half amount of the food for dinner. Small breakest of Wheaties/Cherrios or something.

Is it too much to ask to lose 10-15 lbs in a month?
    Jenado
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Female

Post by Jenado Sun May 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Ghalandria wrote:1 lb a week doing 1 hour a day, with one day off a week. HMMM 40 weeks to lose 40 lbs. I want to speed that up.

What if I seriously cut down my food intake and stick with 1 hour.

So example - Half a peanut and jelly sandwich. Half amount of the food for dinner. Small breakest of Wheaties/Cherrios or something.

Is it too much to ask to lose 10-15 lbs in a month?

10 pounds should be doable. At your height and weight you probably need around 2500 calories a day, without exercise. 1 hr exercise 6 days a week will burn around 500 calories per day - making your total calorie needs 3000/day. If you eat 2000 calories per day, you'll have a 1000 calorie deficit every day and should lose 2 lbs/wk. (you have to burn off 3500 calories to lose a pound. 1000 x 7 = 7000)

generally, it's safe to lose 1% of your bodyweight per week. so at 235 you can lose 2-2.5 pounds a week and be just fine.
    Ghalandria
    Ghalandria
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male

Post by Ghalandria Mon May 19, 2008 5:23 pm

Wow Jenado that was a great post! thanks! We will see what happens. I will take a before and after picture to post here.
    Boomslang
    Stout Poster
    Stout Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 173
    Exerience Points : 145725
    Registration date : 2008-04-12

Post by Boomslang Mon May 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Yes, I'm a fitness type...and yes I'm hot Very Happy

My advice....don't try to lose weight by either trying to diet OR by working out. You have to do both (kinda like trying to fly with only 1 wing). If you can...keep your calorie in take down to 800 a day and work out for 2 hours a day doing lots of cardio (walking, bicycling). Remember, your metabolism slows way way down the older you get, so burning off those 2000 calories (if you eat that much) isn't easy. I would stick with high protein, low fat foods (chicken, fish) and any green vegetables.

Don't just do it for the weight loss..do it for your health.
    Jenado
    Forum Camper Elite
    Forum Camper Elite

Female

Post by Jenado Mon May 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Shadow wrote:If you can...keep your calorie in take down to 800 a day and work out for 2 hours a day doing lots of cardio (walking, bicycling).

Absolutely do NOT do this. An adult male, at the very MINIMUM, should be getting 1500 calories a day. Otherwise you are risking malnutrition. 2000 should be just fine for losing weight, provided you're exercising. 2 hours of working out a day is a bit much, as well, unless you've been exercising for a year or more already.

Other than that, I agree with Shadow - you need to watch both diet and exercise, and high protein, low fat is a good diet strategy. LOTS of veggies.

One more thing though - DON'T go ultra-low-carb Atkins style or anything like that. It's terrible for your health, and the weight will come back on as soon as you start eating carbs again. It IS a good idea, however, to cut out white starchy foods while dieting. Whole grains FTW!
    Nulli
    Common Poster
    Common Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 102
    Exerience Points : 145450
    Registration date : 2008-04-23

Post by Nulli Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Jhenna is saying great stuff.

Exercise is more important then eating. You could eat the same start exercising on a regular basis and you will lose weight. A good amount.

The body is always trying to find a stasis. So you eat 3000 calories a day your body will do its best to use 3000 a day, as it will for 1500.

For myself I believe that eating often will help you lose weight more then eating only a few times each day. I eat about 6 to 8 times a day. This helps keeping me from eating too much because of being so hungry from not eating. You burn more calories while digesting, some foods take more calories to digest such as celery. Eat more protein. Proteins require the most energy for the digestion process, and are needed for rebuilding muscle from exercise. Maintaining muscle mass takes more calories so as you work out and build muscle your daily calorie requirement will go up. Foods with fiber will make you feel full faster.

Jheena is so right about finding something you like or that you think you can learn to like. I did not like running. It was work at first and made me sore as hell. Today I would go crazy without it. It is my time for meditation that I must do 6 times a week. The stasis principle is the same if you do the same workout you are going to get effiecent and most likely bored. If yo like to run then run or swimming then do that, but try to mix it up go for distance one day and run at a medium pace sprint another day on other days sprint 100m for every 1/2 mile of running. That is a enough to change it up.

Boodybuilding.com is a good place with articles and forums. With 1,658,500 threads in their forums there is a pretty large array of subjects and opinions there.

Good luck with your pursuit.

Last edited by Nulli on Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Aymaestro
    Aymaestro
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 215

Exerience Points : 145271
    Registration date : 2008-04-30

Post by Aymaestro Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 pm

We had a weight loss contest among the teachers at our school last year from april-june. I started working out in the morning, lifting moderately for 20-30 min, and jogging/biking the last 20-30 min. I started eating 6 smaller meals a day. keeping my calories around 2k per day. Replaced most potatoes/pasta with veggies. Upped my protien to about 50% of my calories and lost 30 pounds. I went from 236 at 6'1' to 206 and won the contest. One MAJOR rule to follow. NO carbs(better nothing at all but water) 3 hours before bedtime. Any carbs eaten during this time are going to be stored as fat while you sleep. I have slowed down quite a bit but i a still hovering at 200. I am going to start up again for the summer break. My intention is to be 185 at the dn of summer for my 20 year high school reunion, and be trained and ready for my first half marathon in Long Beach at october.
    Dan
    Otolith
    Otolith
    Extensive Poster
    Extensive Poster

Male
    Number of posts : 196

Hammerfist games : Retired AoC
    Exerience Points : 145062
    Registration date : 2008-05-09

Post by Otolith Wed May 21, 2008 10:16 am

this is from a forum i frequent: click me.

there is a lot of useful information there. there's no gimmicky tricks or fad diets, just useful advice. if you're looking for a program, i would suggest the abs diet. stay from atkins and others that sound too good to be true. most of the time they overload you with protein and you don't get the nutrients that your body needs. atkins is also a way to up your cholesterol very quickly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am